How To Use Link Building As An SEO StrategyPosted by Nicole
If you have heard the phrase “link building” but aren’t exactly sure what it means or how to implement it as an SEO strategy, this post is just for you.
First things first, getting high quality links to your site is important because search engines consider websites that people naturally link to a good indication of their relevance. As a general rule, the easier a link is to get the less SEO value. Buying links is therefore not a great SEO strategy, nor is only getting links from a hundred blog comments you’ve posted to a “so-so” website.
Here are five tips to achieve a higher SEO ranking using link building:
1. No surprises here: consistently publishing fantastic, link-worthy content will earn backlinks to your site. Get that company blog up and running so you can easily share your invaluable content, connect with your community, and link back to your site.
2. Ask big sites for a link. Do your research on how you can add value to a well-known industry expert, news authority, or university with content customized to a specific site. For more advice on this strategy, check out this article on the SEOMoz blog.
3. Go viral! Another reason to start incorporating video into your blogging strategy or on your website. People love to share videos that are useful, entertaining, funny, or controversial. Add a link back to your site in the video and voilà!
4. Start a heated debate. Publish an article that challenges strongly held beliefs in your industry. The more your article is commented on and shared, the more links back to your website.
5. Try the DIY approach. While the links you gain from guest posts, blog comments, or in forum signatures may not be the most valuable links you can earn, they do count and are recommended as part of a well-rounded and varied link building strategy.
Are you ready to roll with a link building strategy for your business? Already actively earning links and willing to share your tips? We’d love to hear from you in our comments!